Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Teacher haters - the most unfortunate people

"All teachers are like that. They're all a wasted, pain in the neck."

Ever heard someone say that? I have. And it totally pissed me off. I have my reasons.

The above quoted words of dislike are clearly spoken by someone who has never had a good teacher during their school and college days. It is indeed a very sad story for them because half of our childhood is spent in schools and if we don't like the big, grown men and women who walk in and out of our classrooms trying to make us believe things we've never heard of, then half our chilhood is spent in boredom and spite.

 I, especially, pity such people genuinely because I come from a school that had young and energetic teachers who were smart, skillful, efficient, interactive, empathetic and understanding. During junior college, I had a panel of teachers who made us go through five-hour lectures without making us feel the pressure. Their lectures were that enjoyably enlightening. It is highly improbable that I am one of very few people who have been lucky to have a fun journey with teachers. I am sure there are a whole lot of them out there.

Ahem! Now for some trumpet blowing...
To add to my beautiful student-teacher happy journey story, I confidently add myself to the list of teachers who has made a lot of students happy. It is not what I think of myself but what my students conveyed to me anonymously during the faculty-feedback procedure that happens in college every year. Being rated 'outstanding' for three consecutive years, I believe, is not a coincidence.

These observations bring me to the conclusion that this person who badmouths all teachers of the world must be someone with an abnormally low attention span, hence not being able to catch up with the other kids of the class and getting severely reprimanded by the teachers, or was extremely unlucky to unfailingly, always get a bad teacher to teach him.

I thought writing this post would calm me down. Guess it'll take a while.

9 comments:

♪♪Happy Go Lucky♪♪ said...

I completely agree with you!
I've had my share of bad teachers and bad experiences, but I've also seen the best teachers. I wouldn't have done anything in life if it wasn't for my teachers and I can only feel bad for people who make statements like that cos they don't have a reason to believe in their teachers.

CSK said...

Hear Hear...

Shruti said...

Harini: I've had bad ones too. Very bad ones. That is why we can never generalize.

CSK: Cheers!

Nas said...

Hello! Firstly let me thank you profusely for visiting my blog and commenting. And yes, you are right, I recently (did you not get a chance to read my most recent post), decided to end blogging and will be closing it soon.

Now...on to the actual topic of the post. I can in many ways relate to the opening quote and also to what you have said. I think during my time at school, I had some extremely amazing teachers and some not so. But I've always been more of perceptive person, and I think while at school especially at a younger age, there is this line between a teacher and student. And each party sits on opposite sides of the line. As you get older, you realise both you and the teacher are on the same side, effectively.

I don't work as a teacher, but I still hold children's need's and thoughts quite high. I recently started mentoring students that want to join uni, and I remember how hard / stressful a time it can be.

Be just, be good, be kind, but be honest with your students. And I know they will love you and appreciate you. Make them feel like they know something, and important, and you will be an amazing teacher! I know you will.

All the very best.

N.

Shruti said...

Nas: I am good, just, kind, understanding and friendly with my students. Maybe that is why they say I'm amazing! :)

Unknown said...

Hello ma'am!
I just love your blog.It still tempt me to go through it once in a while.
I can't say that every teacher i have met till now is great...of course not :P But yahh,I'm happy that at least i have a 'Lot' of them who were just awesome.. with pure heart & soul of a TEACHER.
Feels good to hear from you!
And now..i suddenly realised..You never actually thought us right.. ;) Still I love hearing from you!!! Lods of love!!!
Keep posting :)
--Sneha D.

Shruti said...

Sneha: So nice to have u drop by :)

Jack said...

Shruti,

This is to wish you MANY MANY HAPPY RETURNS OF THE DAY. MAY ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE.

Take care

PS : Wish I could send an e-card!

Shruti said...

Thank u Jack! :) Why e-card? It's the thought that matters :)